Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Too Good to Be True



This past Sunday, Julie and I drove up to Kingman to look at a '50 Pan American trailer that was listed in the free section of CraigsList. Judging from the photos and the description, it sounded like it was in reasonable and restorable condition. The couple offering it said they had stayed in it for a year so how bad could it be? Sure, it will need some work, I expect that. Maybe some wood working to replace damaged or missing cabinetry, etc. The outside is aluminum and could use a polish. Besides, we need a new project and this sounded like just the ticket. 

After the 3 1/2 hour drive, we finally found the trailer park where it was residing and I was in shock. It was in much worse shape than I expected. Much worse. The exterior had about a sixteenth of an inch thick coating of SilverSeal to keep the thing from leaking. The interior was in real bad shape, the floors sagged and so was the ceiling. I doubt it would have made it 10 miles without falling apart. I couldn't get away fast enough. These pictures are the ones the owners posted on CraigsList and from these, it looked to be in fairly good shape. I guess you get what you pay for when its free.

No comments: